I'm Matt Wilcox, a web developer based in the UK, this is my personal website.
Skip to: professional information, about Matt, archives, elsewhere.
I've been a full-time web developer since 2004, and a keen hobbyist before that. I've been a member of the HTML Working Group and Responsive Images Community Group.
I am currently lead web developer at View Creative Agency, where I have worked since 2008. My role has expanded a lot over the years, as I have taught myself new skills to match demands.
My day-to-day work may see me:
- Build complete websites, from simple brochure sites to multi‑lingual e‑commerce projects using:
- A LAMP stack staging and live server environment.
- GIT version control
- The Craft CMS ecosystem
- Nitro (a Docker based local development system)
- TWIG templating
- Custom plugin development (PHP / Yii)
- SCSS / CSS
- Adapting provided visuals to work well across various devices (Responsive, mobile-first).
- Adapting designs and code as needed for good accessibility practice. (WCAG, WAI, ARIA)
- Provision, monitor, and administer our fleet of Linux based web servers.
- Create and administer our Bash based build scripts, which allow the team to rapidly create and work on new web projects.
- Create and update our "starter project" to ensure using good best practices are how all our web projects begin.
- Creating "issues" and contributing to the ecosystem via GitHub third-party projects.
- Assisting the team with their own projects as needed.
- Basic performance reviews and enhancements of team-members projects.
- Meeting and working with clients.
- Assessment and planning for potential new projects.
- Researching, testing, and implementing new web development techniques and ideas.
- Collaborating with colleagues on how best to solve various problems.
I have dabbled in Vue and Svelte; but almost no project VCA have taken on has best suited a "PWA / SPA" style of development or deployment, though I'd look forward to that challenge should it arise.
I have also worked for VCA and our clients as a photographer over a number of years, producing and editing shots for online and print projects including:
- Lifestyle shoots
- Documentary style shoots
- Product shots in varying styles
- Portrait shots
I have an analytical mind, enjoy problem solving, and like to do things well. I get the most satisfaction from working on projects that have a clear and real benefit to wider society, and which you could call "a greater good". I'd like to leave the world a better place than I entered it, if I can.
NOTE: I do not currently maintain an archive of projects I have worked on, but the VCA website is a good place to look in general.
- I enjoy bouldering
- I dabble in hand-tool woodwork
- I use my phone more than my camera for photography these days
- I have a rescue dog called Jim
- I play Dungeons and Dragons. Yep, even before lockdown. Bards have the most fun.
- I enjoy working out when I have time, but do better with a group.
- I rarely read for pleasure anymore, but that's why I'm a heavy user of Overcast and Audible
- I'm an introvert that can hide it well when needed.
- I'm a cis white guy in a cis white guy bubble; I try to follow voices different than mine, listen, and amplify.
I've had my own websites for decades. Some are lost to time, but I've got an archive of some older stuff here. Please remember; we were all more ignorant, less wise, rougher around the edges, and had a lot more spare time when we were younger...
- 2015-2020 available soon